ABOUT THE SCHEME-
- Food regulator Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) launched the Food Safety Mitra (FSM) scheme.
- The scheme will support small and medium scale food businesses in compliance with food safety laws.
- WHO IS FOOD SAFETY MITRA?
A Food Safety Mitra is an individual professional certified by FSSAI who assists in compliances related to FSS Act, Rules and regulations with three avatars viz.
Trainer Mitra and Hygiene Mitra depending upon their respective roles and responsibilities.
- The FSM would undergo training and certification by FSSAI to do their work and get paid by food businesses for their service.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SCHEME
- The scheme will lead to improved ease of doing business by creating a transparent and organized ecosystem supporting food businesses… Food businesses will be able to get trained service providers at fair prices- lowering the costs of compliance. This scheme would also create new employment opportunities for youth with food and nutrition background.
This Food Safety Mitras program will strengthen and monitor the EAT RIGHT CAMPAIGN launched by FSSAI.
EAT RIGHT CAMPAIGN:
EAT RIGHT CAMPAIGN aims to cut down the sugar/salt and oil consumption by 30% in three years.
The movement aims to inform the citizens to focus on health and to make the right choices regarding their food.
FSSAI has put three pillars to measure the performance: Eat safe, Eat Healthily, and Eat sustainably.
The movement will be held to control non-communicable diseases which are a matter of concern in present times.